Great places to hike and bike at that are close by are the trail to Rock Dunder where the view is fantastic, and the Cataraqui Trail, a 104 km recreational path that winds it's way through this scenic area following the former Canadian National railway line. It is a four season trail for hikers, cyclists, equestrians, snowmobilers, and cross-country skiers as main users.
The Rideau Lakes area sports one of the most sought-after areas in the world for boating, fishing, camping, swimming, and relaxing! Fishermen come to enjoy the legendary bass fishing, as well as fishing for Northern Pike, Trout, Perch, and pan fish. Fishing guides are available locally for those who want to be shown the ropes. Ice fishing is also popular.It’s clean and clear lakes are connected by an historic lock system which provides a perfect area for boating enthusiasts who love natural beauty. The Cataraqui trail system that winds through the cottage country is a great trail for scenic trips through the wooded landscape on foot or bicycles and in the winter on skis and snowmobiles. The historic old towns and lock stations provide entertainment and great shopping. Come and see for yourself why so many people come year after year.
Great sources of information About the Rideau Lakes area:
- www.rideau-info.com - Everything you would ever want to know about the Rideau Canal and surrounding area
- Tim Allard.ca - Local outdoor freelance writer and photographer Tim's book: "Ice Fishing-The Ultimate Guide"
- Rideau Lakes Township - Local Events
- Rideau Heritage Route - Local Events
- www.twprideaulakes.on.ca/heritage - Local History
- Westport & Rideau Lakes Chamber of Commerce – Local businesses, and events
- Friends of the Rideau- more info
- Fishing Canada Links Directory-Fishing Canada
- Rideau Tours- boat tours, recreational water-sport and bike rentals